MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Skeptic Central: skeptics only please

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Skeptic Central: skeptics only please

Post  ***** on Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:28 pm

I wanted to establish a thread for our skeptical members, to ......well I guess be skeptical??

What do you find about this subject most worthy of your skeptical eye? As a skeptical individual where do you think Sasquatch proponents are going wrong?

This is not a thread for proponents to challenge skeptical thought when it comes to our shared subject: Bigfoot.

This is a thread for our skeptical members to share and exchange the skepticism of Bigfoot's existence, and the evidence we proponents put forth.

And remember we all share in common our interest in Sasquatch. We can come together and exchange ideas in unlimited capacity elsewhere on this board! Very Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Skeptic Central: skeptics only please

Post  BurdenOfProof on Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:11 pm

I think I speak for many skeptics when I say as it currently stands there is not enough compelling evidence to support the existence of such a creature. However if any compelling evidence came to light then I would certainly take a look at it and if it really is compelling then I would change my stance on the whole situation.

The closest relative to humans living and surviving in North America and throughout the world and being able to keep hidden all these years. That would be incredible and I, like most skeptics, would love that to be true!

However we have to be realistic and not jump on beliefs due to our willingness to fulfil a fantasy.

If bigfoot is a living biological creature then like every single other creature, if we can get DNA, then we can get a photo.

Perhaps Bigfoot is the luckiest creature alive and by chance has avoided all cameras all this time, and perhaps those in pursuit of the creature have been extremely unlucky in not getting solid evidence of the creature. Maybe in time we will get something, but in the age of technology that we live in, I think we all thought that we would have found it by now.

Thats unless the men in black are covering it up of course Smile
BurdenOfProof

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kel on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:47 pm

NobleSavage wrote:I wanted to establish a thread for our skeptical members, to ......well I guess be skeptical??

What do you find about this subject most worthy of your skeptical eye? As a skeptical individual where do you think Sasquatch proponents are going wrong?

This is not a thread for proponents to challenge skeptical thought when it comes to our shared subject: Bigfoot.

This is a thread for our skeptical members to share and exchange the skepticism of Bigfoot's existence, and the evidence we proponents put forth.

And remember we all share in common our interest in Sasquatch. We can come together and exchange ideas in unlimited capacity elsewhere on this board! Very Happy

Ahem.............. I hope you're not trying to herd skeptics into one thread, Noble. Please bear in mind that the OWNER of this blog and forum was himself a skeptic until very, very recently. Some members of his favored group, TTBF still are. The simple fact that it is a Bigfoot-oriented blog doesn't preclude skeptics from taking part in the discussion (as many Believers would have it). As Shawn famously says: "Encouraging readers to draw their own conclusions from the evidence and arguments".

Compare your statements in this "skeptics only" intro vs your "proponents only" thread (which I have no problem with unless you attempt to claim all threads "off-limits" to skeptical opinion) ~

HERE: This is not a thread for proponents to challenge skeptical thought when it comes to our shared subject: Bigfoot.

THERE: For our skeptical members, as noted above this is a thread for proponents only. We appreciate your being here, but this is a thread for those who feel they have experienced Bigfoot/Sasquatch, not a gathering for your amusement, and derision.

Just sayin'...
I can honestly say that the most hateful and crude comments I've seen at Shawn's blog comments were posted by uber-believers. I will play the game here with my skeptic's issues later )

Kel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  StankApe on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:13 pm

g

Last edited by StankApe on Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
StankApe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DPinkerton on Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:10 am

Stank...what you propose is entirely impossible in the world we live in!

First you need to establish a "Community"...define that. Who is allowed to be in the Bigfoot club? Who is not? Who decides? How do you govern and police said "Community"? How do you stop people from posting their own blogs and forums?

Look at any current political party...it has mainstream and fringe elements...the same with science, the same with anything.

Not going to happen unless you all of a sudden are able to take control over the internet and suppress democratic rights. Be realistic!

DPinkerton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  YSPR on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:05 am

Throwing all skeptics into the same pot makes it hard to get an objective look with such a bias. I would say everyone on the forum is a skeptic- after all we don’t just blindly believe everything we read or see in these forums (at least I hope not). Some people are more comfortable sharing an experience than others, while some just refuse to do so without some type of physical proof. Since everyone has different perceptions and reasoning I can only give you my personal take on your above scenario.

In short no, I will not share an experience such as you described beyond a few close friends if at all. If I have no way to support my own personal conclusion or belief, then it is simply my personal experience and belief. Not to say it wouldn’t reinforce my ideas and motivate me to expand my research and activities. But to go public if you were, on my part would require some type of physical evidence that could be presented to support my conclusion.
Again, this is me and my opinion, I’m sure everyone else’s take is different than my own.
YSPR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Skeptics only thread ladies and gents..

Post  ***** on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:43 am

If you guys want to start a thread debating skepticism and it's merits on a bigfoot forum go ahead. This is a thread for skeptics to discuss among themselves without proponent challenge. Please show some respect. It's the only way proponents will get respect given.

Thanks for your cooperation. You are welcome to start a thread and challenge what you deem necessary. This is not a "battle" thread. It's a thread for skeptics to exchange in.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Can skip it by..

Post  ***** on Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:19 pm

CMc,

Thanks for you future cooperation. :-)

This thread is for skeptics only, and proponents are obviously able to read what's posted here, but please refrain from posting, unless it's regarding your skepticism on a bigfoot subject. I wanted to give each group of members to the forum a thread of their own. It's just 2 threads out of the multitude on the board. I'm sure some of the commentary here proponents could find asinine, and inflammatory, so it might be best to just avoid perusing it's content.

NobleSavage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  StankApe on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:09 pm

g

Last edited by StankApe on Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
StankApe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  StankApe on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:12 pm

g

StankApe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DPinkerton on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:38 pm

StankApe wrote:What I mean by "community" is the bigger blogs, forums, public events, those places that give the press and forum for them to perpetuate their own personal Bigfoot ideals..... IMO, if someone gets exposed as a liar/hoaxer/ self promoter, they should be cut out as much as possible. Remember, freedom of speech is only in regards to the govt. private blogs and forums don't have to allow them a forum to speak. Nor do symposium/conventioneers have to give them a lecture spot....

I completely agree that the "fringe" of any group serve little to add credit to the cause and often do more harm than good. That being said, what you have outlined is impossible to accomplish without some governing organization to narrow these deffinitions. That in itself is not a bad thing at all. A cental organization that collects, catalogs and methodically reviews material would be an asset. As would a program to educate on collection methods and teach a uniform way of recording field data.

The bigfoot "community" would be well served to create its own structured organization. It looks like it is trying to and in the very early stages.

We also need to remember that much of today's understanding of the universe and the things in it was at one time concidered "fringe" thinking.

DPinkerton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  StankApe on Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:00 pm

df

StankApe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  StankApe on Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:13 pm

the source of one of my favorite analogies.

StankApe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top