Bigfoot News
Bigfoot Evidence
Bigfoot Evidence
RSS feeds


Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 



Ketchum Paper out Tomorrow

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ketchum Paper out Tomorrow

Post  Starz on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:28 pm

http://www.denovojournal.com/#!news-release/c1yzj

THREE BIGFOOT GENOMES SEQUENCED IN 5-YEAR DNA STUDY

New Research Paper Published Friday Shows Homo Sapiens/Unknown Hominin Hybrid Species Extant in North America
DALLAS, February 10th

A team of scientists will publish their five-year long study of DNA samples from a novel hominin species, commonly known as “Bigfoot” or “Sasquatch,” on Friday February 15th, 2013. The results suggest that the legendary Sasquatch is extant in North America and is a human relative that arose approximately 13,000 years ago as a hybrid cross of modern Homo sapiens with an novel primate species.

The study, “Novel North American Hominins, Next Generation Sequencing of Three Whole Genomes and Associated Studies,” was conducted by a team of experts in genetics, forensics, imaging and pathology. The team, led by Dr. Melba Ketchum of DNA Diagnostics in Nacogdoches, TX, included Dr. Pat Wojtkiecicz, Director of the North Louisiana Criminalistics Laboratory; Ms. Aliece Watts of Integrated Forensic Laboratories in Euless, TX;  Mr. David Spence, Trace Evidence Supervisor at Southwestern Institute of Forensic Sciences; Dr. Andreas K. Holzenburg, Director of the Microscopy & Imaging Center at Texas A&M University; Dr. Douglas G. Toler of Huguley Pathology Consultants in Fort Worth, TX; Dr. Thomas M. Prychitko of Wayne State University in Michigan; Dr. Fan Zhang of the University of North Texas Health Science Center; and Sarah Bollinger, Ray Shoulders, and Ryan Smith of DNA Diagnostics.

In total, 110 specimens of purported Sasquatch hair, blood, skin, and other tissue types were analyzed for the study. Samples were submitted by individuals and groups at 34 different hominin research sites in 14 U.S. states and two Canadian provinces. Ketchum’s team sequenced 20 whole and 10 partial mitochondrial genomes, as well as 3 whole nuclear genomes, from the samples.

Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) comes from mitochondria, energy-producing organelles in the cellular cytoplasm, and is passed down on the maternal lineage across generations. Nuclear DNA (nuDNA) is the genetic information contained in the cell nucleus and is the equal combination of DNA from the parents of an individual.

Initially a skeptic, Ketchum implemented strict protocols to ensure the scientific integrity of the study. DNA samples from submitters and scientists working with study specimens were obtained for use as controls. DNA was extracted from samples using forensic procedures to prevent contamination. Forensics experts examined the morphology of the submitted hair samples against known human and animal samples before beginning DNA testing. “We soon discovered that certain hair samples--which we would later identify as purported Sasquatch samples--had unique morphology distinguishing them from typical human and animal samples,” says Ketchum. “Those hair samples that could not be identified as known animal or human were subsequently screened using DNA testing, beginning with sequencing of mitochondrial DNA followed by sequencing nuclear DNA to determine where these individuals fit in the ‘tree of life.'”

After extensive forensic controls to prevent contamination, mtDNA testing of the Sasquatch samples yielded fully modern human profiles. Sixteen haplotypes indicating 100% homology with modern human mtDNA sequences were observed from 20 completed whole and 10 partial mitochondrial genomes. The human mtDNA results are consistent with prior, unrelated mtDNA tests of purported Sasquatch samples from other laboratories.

Next-generation whole genome sequencing with the HiSeq 2000 platform by Illumina was performed at the University of Texas, Southwestern on one tissue sample, a saliva sample and one blood sample to produce 3 whole genomes. In contrast to the mtDNA which was unambiguously modern human, the Sasquatch nuDNA results were a mosaic of novel primate and human sequence.

“While the three Sasquatch nuclear genomes aligned well with one another and showed significant homology to human chromosome 11 which is highly conserved in primates, the Sasquatch genomes were novel and fell well outside of known ancient hominin as well as ape sequences,”  explains Ketchum. “Because some of the mtDNA haplogroups found in our Sasquatch samples originated as late as 13,000 years ago, we are hypothesizing that the Sasquatch are human hybrids, the result of males of an unknown hominin species crossing with female Homo sapiens.”

Hominins are members of the taxonomic grouping Hominini, which includes all members of the genus Homo.

“Novel North American Hominins, Next Generation Sequencing of Three Whole Genomes and Associated Studies.”

Authors: Ketchum MS, Wojtkiewicz PW, Watts AB, Spence DW, Holzenburg AK, Toler DG, Prychitko TM, Zhang F, Bollinger S, Shoulders R, Smith R

Journal of Advanced Multidisciplinary Exploration in Zoology. 11 January 2013.

Specimens yielding DNA were obtained, purportedly from elusive hominins in North America called Sasquatch. Sequencing and genotyping were performed in addition to histopathologic and electron microscopic examination of a large tissue sample
avatar
Starz

Posts : 53
Join date : 2012-08-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ketchum Paper out Tomorrow

Post  Ravinoff on Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:01 am

You gotta be sh*ttin' me...
avatar
Ravinoff

Posts : 63
Join date : 2012-11-13
Age : 23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ketchum Paper out Tomorrow

Post  paul830 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:39 am

I do think there's a squatch in these woods....
avatar
paul830

Posts : 97
Join date : 2013-01-16
Age : 43
Location : Toronto Canada

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ketchum Paper out Tomorrow

Post  Squatchmaster G on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:02 am

I'm really genuinely excited about finally getting to read the paper.


However ....

The DeNovo journal is really odd and is throwing up a bunch of red flags for me. Their website was just created by proxy a few days ago and has absolutely no information about their editorial staff, the referees, etc etc.. The only contact details lead back to free website generator, their sister site http://www.denovoscientificpublishing.com/ still hasn't been set up properly and it looks like the Ketchum paper is the only article they have. This entire thing was thrown together in the last few days.

Has Melba Ketchum created her own "scientific journal" just so she could publish her own paper or is this a fake?

avatar
Squatchmaster G

Posts : 202
Join date : 2013-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ketchum Paper out Tomorrow

Post  YSPR on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:16 am

I honestly believe we are going to find out that this Journal was made so that she could self publish her paper. I see this as her trying to con everyone into believing that she accomplished something that she did not. I wonder if the pictures she claimed to have will be included.

I might be wrong, but the odds are definitely in my favor for her to be behind self publishing. This is no different than believing your own lie.

There are much smarter people than me that will dissect the paper, procedures, and conclusions. But it doesn’t take a genius to see when we are being misled again.
avatar
YSPR

Posts : 88
Join date : 2012-08-13
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ketchum Paper out Tomorrow

Post  CMcMillan on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:19 am

Seems people don't understand how some Journals work.
Mary Ann Libert Journals are all payed for by the contributing authors.
A Scientist writes a paper sends it to Libert and pays for it to be published.
It is in a way self published. Melba all she is doing is publishing the Journal her self. Nothing wrong with that. Those that say the science isn't good just because she is self publishing it, then need to question all other Journals science as well.
Her Journal and research may take off
avatar
CMcMillan

Posts : 1097
Join date : 2012-08-05
Location : USA CT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ketchum Paper out Tomorrow

Post  YSPR on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:51 am

If the work samples, procedures, and conclusions were of quality work and logic, then she would be dealing with a reputable source and scientists. The fact that no one was willing to publish it or to work with her to shore it up so it could be published, speaks volumes about the quality and reliability of its contents.

Self publishing no matter how you color it is a layman’s way of trying to gain notoriety based on questionable work and results.

She is playing at smoke and mirrors once again.

How much does it cost to read the paper? How much of that money goes to her?

avatar
YSPR

Posts : 88
Join date : 2012-08-13
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ketchum Paper out Tomorrow

Post  Squatchmaster G on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:55 am

CMcMillan wrote:Seems people don't understand how some Journals work.
Mary Ann Libert Journals are all payed for by the contributing authors.
A Scientist writes a paper sends it to Libert and pays for it to be published.
It is in a way self published.
Mary Ann Liebert Inc is a commercial journal publishing house and it does charge its authors certain fees but they are definitely NOT any sort of self publishing or vanity publishing since they place HEAVY emphasis on the peer review process. If you check the listing for each of their journals you'll see that the editorial board lists are usually huge and impressive. They don't just accept every paper that comes in and publish it when the author's cheque clears, they're quite particular about upholding their reputation as publishers of reputable research. They're also very concerned about the apparent rise of "open access" journals that skimp on the peer reviews. They'd be highly insulted if they read what you wrote about them.

CMcMillan wrote: Melba all she is doing is publishing the Journal her self. Nothing wrong with that.
Actually there's a lot wrong with that. If Ketchum doesn't put her paper through a proper peer review process then she hasn't adhered to correct scientific processes and her research can be dismissed as pseudo-science by definition. Self publishing a formal scientific paper is a really, really bad idea. Inventing a fake journal is an even worse idea. If she wants people to take her seriously she needs to get her paper into a proper peer reviewed journal and if she's skipped that procedure then the scientific world will just laugh at her.


This is all pointless speculation anyway, we'll find out if Ketchum's paper is any good (or has been peer reviewed in any way) in a day or two.
avatar
Squatchmaster G

Posts : 202
Join date : 2013-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ketchum Paper out Tomorrow

Post  CMcMillan on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:35 am

Squatchmaster G wrote:
CMcMillan wrote:Seems people don't understand how some Journals work.
Mary Ann Libert Journals are all payed for by the contributing authors.
A Scientist writes a paper sends it to Libert and pays for it to be published.
It is in a way self published.
Mary Ann Liebert Inc is a commercial journal publishing house and it does charge its authors certain fees but they are definitely NOT any sort of self publishing or vanity publishing since they place HEAVY emphasis on the peer review process. If you check the listing for each of their journals you'll see that the editorial board lists are usually huge and impressive. They don't just accept every paper that comes in and publish it when the author's cheque clears, they're quite particular about upholding their reputation as publishers of reputable research. They're also very concerned about the apparent rise of "open access" journals that skimp on the peer reviews. They'd be highly insulted if they read what you wrote about them.

CMcMillan wrote: Melba all she is doing is publishing the Journal her self. Nothing wrong with that.
Actually there's a lot wrong with that. If Ketchum doesn't put her paper through a proper peer review process then she hasn't adhered to correct scientific processes and her research can be dismissed as pseudo-science by definition. Self publishing a formal scientific paper is a really, really bad idea. Inventing a fake journal is an even worse idea. If she wants people to take her seriously she needs to get her paper into a proper peer reviewed journal and if she's skipped that procedure then the scientific world will just laugh at her.


This is all pointless speculation anyway, we'll find out if Ketchum's paper is any good (or has been peer reviewed in any way) in a day or two.


I work with Libert all the time. You really have no clue what your talking about when it comes to them.
Also all major Colleges have their own Journals and Publishing specifically for work done at the schools.
Duke, John Hopkins, Oxford, MIT, Harvard etc.... I work with many of these as well.
Things get published many times then get read by others. The People then read the data and can ask questions.
Peer Review doesn't make it science according to the people against "ID" so what is it.
Is a peer Review a must? Or isn't it?


avatar
CMcMillan

Posts : 1097
Join date : 2012-08-05
Location : USA CT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ketchum Paper out Tomorrow

Post  Squatchmaster G on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:40 am

CMcMillan wrote:
I work with Libert all the time.
Really? Then why do you keep spelling her name wrong?


CMcMillan wrote:All major Universities have their own Journals as well.
Duke, John Hopkins, Oxford, MIT etc...
Yep, and they're all heavily peer reviewed with an impressive editorial team. It remains to be seen if the DeNovo Journal is anything like that.

Like I said, we'll find out in a day or two.
avatar
Squatchmaster G

Posts : 202
Join date : 2013-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ketchum Paper out Tomorrow

Post  CMcMillan on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:47 am


So you didn't answer my question.
IF peer review makes something real science then why do people who are against Intellectual Design say that Peer Reviews mean nothing. That even Junk science can be peer reviewed.
So which way is it?

I miss spell her name because my spelling sucks !! thought you would have figured that out now Bright Boy.

avatar
CMcMillan

Posts : 1097
Join date : 2012-08-05
Location : USA CT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ketchum Paper out Tomorrow

Post  Starz on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:34 am

Every geneticist will now be reading it and posting opinions so where and how it was published is fairly ''MOOT''.

It's hard to believe we finally got the paper, and people are nit-picking. SHEESH!!! Anyways, this just popped up,
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2013-02/dd-tg021213.php
avatar
Starz

Posts : 53
Join date : 2012-08-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ketchum Paper out Tomorrow

Post  Squatchmaster G on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:42 pm

CMcMillan wrote:
So you didn't answer my question.
Peer review is definitely a must.

CMcMillan wrote:
IF peer review makes something real science then why do people who are against Intellectual Design say that Peer Reviews mean nothing. That even Junk science can be peer reviewed.
I'll address it in the other thread, you've derailed this one enough.


Starz wrote:Every geneticist will now be reading it and posting opinions so where and how it was published is fairly ''MOOT''.
Well, every geneticist willing to spend $US30 on the paper will be reading it, everyone else will just wait for someone else to review it.
I'm not going to give Ketchum $30, I'll just wait for the full text to be leaked somewhere. Laughing
avatar
Squatchmaster G

Posts : 202
Join date : 2013-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ketchum Paper out Tomorrow

Post  Squatchmaster G on Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:21 pm

Eric Berger, the SciGuy from the Houston Chronicle has obtained a copy of Ketchum's paper and has passed it along to some geneticists for their reaction.

DoubtfulNews.com is also on the case.

We'll be getting some reviews of the paper from reputable independent geneticists in short order. I'm going to sit tight and see what they say.
avatar
Squatchmaster G

Posts : 202
Join date : 2013-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ketchum Paper out Tomorrow

Post  BurdenOfProof on Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:30 pm

not a single bigfoot was proven real on this day
avatar
BurdenOfProof

Posts : 263
Join date : 2012-08-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ketchum Paper out Tomorrow

Post  Green911 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:18 am

BurdenOfProof wrote:not a single bigfoot was proven real on this day

Wow. Burden you really amaze me, sometimes you are on the money. Other time you are worse than a canker sore. Just because we are excited to finally read this paper, you have to start snarking about it.

Why don't you just read the paper. Like the rest of us , THEN give your opinion. Not the other way around. Like I have said before just be patient. The truth is out there. And we all have our own opinions, and that is what keeps us discussing, not berating each other for not having a certain opinion.

elephant
avatar
Green911

Posts : 140
Join date : 2012-08-17
Age : 49
Location : Sacramento, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ketchum Paper out Tomorrow

Post  Tim, U.K. on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:58 pm

Oh please please please Mr. Erickson sir, can we see the footage now?

Tim, U.K.

Posts : 30
Join date : 2012-08-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ketchum Paper out Tomorrow

Post  YSPR on Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:16 pm

Tim, U.K. wrote:Oh please please please Mr. Erickson sir, can we see the footage now?

The footage that they show of Matilda sleeping is the only thing that I have seen. And it is less than definitive or impressive.
To me it looks like a cinnamon colored black bear sleeping. The fur and breathing are dead ringers for one.

The Matilda Bigfoot footage has finally been release by Dr. Melba Ketchum and the Erickson Project. While some are saying it looks like a shag carpet and calling it fake, most have no idea that the 19 second clip is just a part of what Adrian Erickson has decided to release publicly. In the actual full-length video, the teenage Bigfoot actually gets up and walks up to the camera and growls. Black fangs are visible in the full video, and according to billionaire Wally Hersom and others who had the privilege to privately view it, it looks like a Wookiee from Star Wars.


New info on main blog page, star wars is coming to town.
avatar
YSPR

Posts : 88
Join date : 2012-08-13
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ketchum Paper out Tomorrow

Post  Squatchmaster G on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:07 pm

Huffington Post article about the Ketchum paper

Bigfoot DNA Tests: Science Journal's Credibility Called Into Question

Bigfoot is real ... maybe.

After months of waiting for a peer-reviewed scientific journal to publish findings on the validity of alleged Bigfoot DNA evidence, the time has come for answers. But is there enough empirical evidence to finally confirm that the elusive, tall, hairy man-beast of North America really exists? Maybe, but questions have now been raised about the scientific journal publishing the findings.

avatar
Squatchmaster G

Posts : 202
Join date : 2013-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ketchum Paper out Tomorrow

Post  Squatchmaster G on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:15 pm

The Phantoms & Monsters blog has a long post about where some of Ketchum's DNA was collected.

JC Johnson of Crypto Four Corners has been documenting hominids and other cryptids on the Diné Navajo reservation in New Mexico and the general Four Corners region for many years. The following information describes how the evidence for the study was obtained by his team and Bigfoot investigator Brenda Harris.
avatar
Squatchmaster G

Posts : 202
Join date : 2013-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ketchum Paper out Tomorrow

Post  Squatchmaster G on Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:12 pm

Oh boy, there's a whole heap of articles about the paper now.

NBC news: Bigfoot DNA discovered at last? Not so fast...
It seems that the Ketchum Bigfoot DNA study, which was supposed to rock the world with its iron-clad scientific evidence of Bigfoot, is a bust, and tells us more about junk science than about the mysterious monster. Scientists will not be impressed, but Bigfoot believers might be


Mother Nature Network: Bigfoot evidence 'conclusive,' says scientifically dubious study
The news site Ars Technica paid the $30 fee for a copy of the paper and called it "a mess." Meanwhile, famed Bigfoot researcher Loren Coleman wondered about the validity of the new journal on his blog CryptoZooNews, asking "Is this vanity publishing? Is this scientific suicide?"


Red Orbit: Bigfoot Is Real, And We Have DNA To Prove It: Researchers
While past redOrbit articles may have looked to viral footage, mostly proven to be hoaxes, as evidence of Bigfoot’s existence, science provides a whole new realm of persuasion for the non-believers with the latest DNA evidence.


ArsTechnica: Bigfoot genome paper “conclusively proves” that Sasquatch is real
As far as the nuclear genome is concerned, the results are a mess. Sometimes the tests picked up human DNA. Other times, they didn't. Sometimes the tests failed entirely. The products of the DNA amplifications performed on the samples look about like what you'd expect when the reaction didn't amplify the intended sequence. And electron micrographs of the DNA isolated from these samples show patches of double- and single-stranded DNA intermixed. This is what you might expect if two distantly related species had their DNA mixed—the protein-coding sequences would hybridize, and the intervening sections wouldn't. All of this suggests modern human DNA intermingled with some other contaminant.


Discovery News: 'Bigfoot DNA' Study Seeks Yeti Rights
Ketchum’s complaint — echoed by many on the Bigfoot and paranormal fields — that closed-minded scientists refuse to look at her evidence because they are afraid of its implications is absurd. If and when hard evidence is offered for Bigfoot, scientists will be scrambling to investigate and research this amazing scientific breakthrough.

The irony is that all the blurry photos, eyewitness reports, ambiguous footprints, and pseudoscientific DNA testing in the world have failed, whereas it would only take one Bigfoot, trapped live or found dead, to conclusively prove that the creatures exist.


io9: Researchers publish Bigfoot genome in brand-new journal they themselves founded
The site also claims to be "open access," but charges 30 bucks to access the Bigfoot genome paper. It bears mentioning that the Bigfoot genome paper, at the time of this posting, is also the only paper in Vol. 1, Issue 1 of the new journal. Seeing as "open access" clearly does not mean what these researchers think it means, you'll forgive us if we remain skeptical when they say their data "conclusively proves that the Sasquatch exist as an extant hominin"; if we had to guess, we'd say that "conclusively proves that the Sasquatch exist as an extant hominin" doesn't mean what the researchers think it means, either.


UK Express: Bigfoot is real and there is DNA to prove it, claim researchers
While many people claim to have seen the creature, its existence has never been confirmed, despite a plethora of photos and footprints.

But now, even the sternest non-believer is sure to be convinced of Bigfoot's existence, as scienctific evidence has provided an abundance of persuasion with the latest DNA evidence.


The Stir: Bigfoot's DNA Discovery Raises Some Hairy Eyebrows
But! Who are we to rain on Bigfoot's parade? Maybe the huge, hairy, beastly man-type creature is out there leaving DNA all over the place, and maybe Ketchum is the only one clever enough to track it down.

Sure, other "scientists" are saying that the supposed genetic samples from Bigfoot had to have been "contaminated" since "amateurs" with "no forensic training" had collected the data, but psssh. What's a little human spit on a sample when Bigfoot's realness is at stake?


A few of them are accepting the paper as proof of Bigfoot's existence but most of the articles are poking holes in it and treating it like a big joke. Ketchum's a laughing stock.
avatar
Squatchmaster G

Posts : 202
Join date : 2013-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ketchum Paper out Tomorrow

Post  Squatchmaster G on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:58 pm

#sasquatchDNA and #sasquatchgenome are trending on Twitter.





avatar
Squatchmaster G

Posts : 202
Join date : 2013-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ketchum Paper out Tomorrow

Post  Squatchmaster G on Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:23 pm

The parody hashtag #denovoVol1Issue2 has been trending a little:

LOL Laughing

The other hashtags #sasquatchgenome and #sasquatchDNA have pretty much dried up. The general public has already lost interest in the story.
avatar
Squatchmaster G

Posts : 202
Join date : 2013-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ketchum Paper out Tomorrow

Post  CMcMillan on Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:39 pm

Yea because Twitter is such a reliable source.

You claim about relaiable sources and post Face Book and Twitter?
avatar
CMcMillan

Posts : 1097
Join date : 2012-08-05
Location : USA CT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ketchum Paper out Tomorrow

Post  Squatchmaster G on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:01 pm

CMcMillan wrote:Yea because Twitter is such a reliable source.

You claim about relaiable sources and post Face Book and Twitter?

It's a pretty good indicator of what the general public thinks about any topic and even TV news programs use Twitter for that. I never claimed it was completely reliable or definitive proof of anything. If you've got some other source for gauging the general public's reaction to this story then you're welcome to bring it to the discussion.
avatar
Squatchmaster G

Posts : 202
Join date : 2013-01-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ketchum Paper out Tomorrow

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum